Sunday, October 15, 2006

Playing with toys


As Pedro already shown you, I got my new toy this week, after almost one month trying to find the way out of the Belgian bureaucracy labyrinth. I finally got my insurance and my license plates and I can now ride my new car. And that’s exactly what I’ve been doing! Yesterday the “19 Paul Hymans Gang” went for its first excursion: we drove to Calais and then rode along the Opale Coast until Boulogne-sur-Mer, stopping by the two windy capes of Blanc-Nez and Gris-Nez which offer wide views over the Channel. Boulogne-sur-Mer has a very well preserved citadel with nice ramparts protecting some quite impressive buildings, as the one of the Notre Dame Cathedral, reconstructed in the 19th century and holding a huge dome visible from many miles away. Close by, there’s also a powerful castle from the 13th century. It is a good reward for the more than 200 km drove. Then, before returning to Brussels, we still visited Saint Omer. Refined and antique, the small town has wide streets and spacious squares and an old cathedral from the 13th and 14th centuries. For sure Saint Omer isn’t the most beautiful or interesting town in the world, but it was the perfect final stage of our day-trip around the French Flanders. We all agree that we have to do this more often!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home