Sunday, April 23, 2006

Riga


For the ones who weren't able to find out which is the most recent addition to the list of countries I have visited, I can tell it was Latvia. Last Thursday I flew to Vilnius and, then, went by car to Riga.

Riga, the capital of Latvia, is situated on the Baltic Sea coast on the mouth of the River Daugava. Riga is the largest city in the Baltic States (population of around 740,000) and serves as a major cultural, educational, political, financial, commercial and industrial centre in the Baltics. The Historic Centre of Riga has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the city is particularly notable for its extensive Art Noveau architecture, comparable in significance only with Vienna, Prague and Barcelona.

I was in Riga for less than 24 hours and I wasn't able to learn much more about this apparently very nice city. One thing I know, however, is that I want to go back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home