Sunday, October 07, 2007

Rainy Mollina, sunny Brussels

I've spent most of the weekend in Mollina, at the University on Youth and Development. Mollina means a lot to me. I've been there for the first time in January 1993, and since then was there so many times that I can't even remember how many. But it's not only about the amount of times I've been there; it's about the events I've experienced there. Since that very first time, every time I go to Mollina I learn something, and come back a little bit different. I guess that Mollina has that effect in many, many other people. It's a very special place, where very special events take place. In that sense, and in the global youth work field, Mollina is like a sanctuary where people go in search of something mystical... and they normally find it. Over these almost 15 years of pilgremages to Mollina, I've grown up as a person and as a youth leader. And I've met people who became my friends, people I admire, and people I love. My debt towards Mollina is so huge, that I don't think I will ever be able to pay it back. I have to confess, however, that when I went there on Tuesday, I wasn't very excited about the idea of spending 4 days there. And yet, I also have to confess that it was once again great, that Mollina keeps offering the same mystical experience after 15 years. And that's why I want to go back there next year!

Now, Mollina has a reputation of nice weather, with sun shining over blue skies almost eternally. In that sense, Mollina this year was a flop... and the most troubling aspect of this is that, when coming back to Brussels on Friday, I was welcomed by beautiful sunny weather that lasted the entire weekend. I know I complain a lot about the weather in Brussels... so, I think it is fair to say, for once, and while I can, that Brussels' weather can also be very nice... and that I actually like being in Brussels on a sunny day... and that the city even looks nice on those days... If I can make a wish now that I have made such a rare compliment to Brussels, please let the sun shine for a few days more... nobody will get hurt, I promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home